Monday 20 July 2015

We're moving to Thailand!

(Sorry mom- not coming home yet)

I blame it on the travel bug.  Look what this year has done to us.  It has left us with a desire to see more of the world, and chase after doing the things we never thought we'd do in our lifetime.  Not a bad thing though, eh?  In fact, it gives me goosebumps!  The cultural experiences, the new people, the food, the warmth, the adventure... it has all been calling our names ever so loudly this past year!  So we've decided to make a bold move, and will be relocating to Chiang Mai, Thailand for the next two years.

We realize two years is a long time (no, we haven't gone mad!).  We are excited and feel ready to step a little more out of our comfort zone.  England has been an amazing experience, though we feel it has been a stepping stone to this next step in our lives.  I've decided to create a kind of Q and A type post here to fill you in on the most common questions we've been asked.  If there's anything else I don't cover, feel free to personally message me!  We definitely feel lucky to have the support we do from our friends and family and are happy to share our experiences in detail with you.

Where is Chiang Mai and what is so great about it?

Chiang Mai is the largest city in Northern Thailand with a population of roughly 150,000.  It is a top rated tourist destination because of it's rich traditional culture and laid back pace of living (as opposed to crazy Bangkok).  It is nestled in at the bottom of some of the highest mountain ranges in Thailand which offer a peaceful background for the many temples built within the old historic part of the city.  There is a University here which brings in a young crowd and is home to many expats (expatriate: someone who leaves their home to live and work in another country.  AKA: us).  It is comforting to know that there are many others like us who have moved to Chiang Mai to work and live.  There must be something great about this city to have an expat community of 40,000!

Why are you going for 2 years?

That's how long Zack's working contract is for.  Ideally, we would have chosen to go for one year, but a lot of International Schools only offer 2 year contracts.  So, what's one more year?

Where is Zack working?

Chiang Mai International School, otherwise known as CMIS.  He will be teaching Mathematics to Grades 7/8 and Physics to the older kids (probably Grade 11/12).  It is an English speaking school and will most likely have kids from all over the world.  The website is:  www.cmis.ac.th

What will I (Sarah) be doing?

Excellent question!  I have no idea.  This question sometimes brings some anxiety into my life, but for the most part, I'm not worried.  I'll definitely be continuing my online Etsy shop, however I will be looking for work elsewhere as well.  I'll figure it out when I get there.

Do you have somewhere to live?

Not yet.  CMIS will arrange temporary housing for when we arrive and then we are responsible for finding our own place.  I've browsed online to check out our options and I think we'll be just fine.  With the large amount of expats that come and go, there are constantly apartments being listed online.  Also, we can afford a LOT more in Chiang Mai than we do here in England.  This puts us at ease a bit more (especially with me not having work lined up yet).  

When do you leave?

Zack will be flying to Thailand on August 12th.  I will be joining him on September 22nd (in the mean time I will be in Canada visiting family and friends!).  Zack would have liked to come to Canada with me to see family/friends before our big adventure begins, but unfortunately his job starts in August.  It'll be tough to part ways for over a month, but it's just how it is.  I'm sure I'll be getting constant updates while I'm at home in my parent's living room :)

What are our current emotions regarding this big move?

It's a mix of emotions.  Honestly, we've had so much going on in our lives these past couple months (friends visiting, going on trips to Belgium, Paris, finishing up work here in England, etc), that we haven't actually been thinking much about it!  Also, we really don't know what to expect.  We do know it'll be a huge culture change but that we are ready and excited to bring it on!  

Can I come visit?

Yes!  Please do!  We love visitors and are hoping to live somewhere with a pool *nudge, nudge*.  


So, I'll leave it at that for now.  I am excited to share more about this stage in our lives and can only imagine what kind of posts I'll be writing in a few months.  It's crazy how soon this is happening and we appreciate your support!  

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. Cost of living in Vancouver

    ReplyDelete