Wednesday 1 June 2016

May at Sarah Reimer Designs: Preparing for my first Handmade Market!!

The month of May has been a wild ride here at Sarah Reimer Designs!  Along with confirming some travel plans a while back to head home this summer, I also took a leap of faith and applied to be a vendor at the Handmade Market in Niagara this coming June.  Though I have never been a part of anything like this before and also the logistics of preparing in Thailand for a market that is happening in CANADA stirred feelings of nervousness inside of me, I decided to apply and see where it could lead.  Though I tried not to think too much into this being a legitimate possibility, I couldn't help but count down the days until I thought I could be notified.  I knew if I didn't make the cut, I wouldn't be notified... so each passing day without confirmation was (sadly) a way for me to confirm that I didn't make the cut.  Weeks went by and I heard nothing... crickets.  It wasn't until I had decided that I wasn't selected as a vendor (and had a little sad fest with myself) that I received THE EMAIL!  I was selected!!  When I told Zack the news, it could have appeared that we were having our first child... I was that excited!


After many jumps for joy, I started to think more realistically about everything that I would need to accomplish before our flight back to Canada.  The market weekend lies at the beginning of our time at home, which meant I needed to make a plan to create ALL my stock here in Thailand and bring it back home to Canada.  I am well aware that I could be "that" traveler at the airport who gets pulled aside into security because of the strange contents of my luggage.  I am already preparing my answer when I am asked, "ma'am, why do you have a suitcase full of cards?".  

Along with creating stock, I've been planning out other logistics for the market.  A few examples would be being able to accept credit card transactions in person, arranging a tent, tables, or anything else I will need for setup, creating a big sign with my logo, business cards, an "about the artist" page, thinking about packaging, and making sure I've covered myself completely when it comes to legalities.  Luckily, my husband Zack and my parents who are in Canada, are a HUGE help.  It helps me that Zack has a numbers brain and having my parents at home working out details when it comes to setting up my tent.  It comforts me to know that I am not alone in this process. Thank you guys!

To give you some background information on the Handmade Market, it is an upscale outdoor market that supports local artisans and small businesses.  They have been running three markets every year since 2010 (spring, fall, and christmas markets) with this particular market being the first SUMMER solstice market (making four markets this year!)

I particularly love this snippet from their website:

"In a world where every dollar you spend could be a vote in favour of local business and against the oppression of workers in developing nations, the HandMade Market offers you an important opportunity to shop with a clear conscience and support local business and the arts at the same time! No homogenous, androgynous, thoughtless, big-box items here!
We work hard to create an uplifting social experience that brings the humanity back into our daily transactions"
I completely stand by this 100% and am excited to be a part of it this June 18/19.  For more information, you can visit their website here.

Lastly, I was still working on some new exciting items this month!  I was really pleased with how the hand bound books turned out last month, so I have been making more (though they are not listed online they will be available at the Handmade Market) and I also decided to offer the book covers as postcards as well.  These are the new postcards that were listed in my online shop this month (and you can count on more coming this month):

Be still and know.  See this card in my shop here.
Bicycle in Brugge, Belgium.  See it in my shop here.
Life is beautiful.  Photo taken in Chiang Dao, Thailand.  See it in my shop here.
Bicycle in Brighton, England.  See it in my shop here. 
All I Need is Vitamin Sea!  See it in my shop here.
More of a fine art twist on this one... See it in my shop here.
I also did a custom order this month, which are slowly trickling in my way (yippee!).  It makes me really happy to do a custom order, because to me, it means that this particular customer trusts my ability to create something unique and special just for them.  In this case, I created this custom map art for Karyn, who is originally from Ontario but currently living in South Sudan, Africa.  Here is the end result:


I've also now made this a custom item in my shop.  If there is a place that is close to your heart, I can create one for you here!  Just make sure to tell me where you would like your heart(s)!

Well, May, you've been good to me.  I send my thanks above me once again for the opportunity to continue to use my gifts and keep on making.  As I continue to grow, it becomes more clear to me that I want my business to be rooted in love.  June is full of opportunities and I know that there are many things beyond my control.  All I can do is spread the love :)

-Sarah xx

1 comment:

  1. I have purchased many of Sarah's awesome items and I LOVE them all! Although many of them were fragile they have all arrived faster than I expected in perfect condition from across the world. I wanted to keep them all but they have made excellent gifts, post-cards, etc. for my family & friends to enjoy too. I highly recommend Sarah's creative, unique, hand-made, exquisite designs. :)

    ReplyDelete