Saturday 9 January 2016

2016: A year to Grow


As I revisited my 30 before 30 list, I realized in order to help me achieve my goals, I needed to see them in front of me. I also came to recognize that I wanted smaller goals to achieve every month, week and even day. I follow a blogger who I originally used to help plan our Europe trip. She just wrote a year in review post and in it she talks about how she did in achieving her goals. She had a picture of a daily checklist for her goals and I loved the idea of seeing progress. Interestingly enough, the calendar is created by a blogger/podcaster that Sarah listens to and gains insights and ideas for her work. I decided to choose a few things that I could measure and work towards.

Intentional breathing/meditating everyday: taking time to slow down and focus my mind.

Read the Bible 3 times a week: as a Christian I want to understanding what I believe and grow in my faith.

Cooking twice a week: we love all the Thai food to be had but miss making our own food. It is not always cheaper but we get to enjoy a passion and grow our culinary skills.

Attend yoga every other week: one of my friends and colleagues is an instructor and runs sessions out of people's houses. I went a bunch at the start of the school year but have dropped off recently.

2016 daily goal tracker at elisejoy.com

I am excited to get some planners printed and start this journey. Photo from Elise Joy's blog. 

Along with these goals I have others that I want to focus on but did not put a number to.

Learn more Thai
Listen to more podcasts (learn more)
Read less travel blogs (waste less time)

With these set in stone before the new year started, I got started on December 31 by walking and listening to a podcast. Sarah listened to hers and we discussed afterwards what we learned. Hers was about choosing one word to define your year ahead. I found it all a bit to airy fairy and generic but Sarah asked me what my word would be anyways. I couldn't think of one straight away but as we continued to stroll, one came to mind: grow. As I dwelled on it more, I liked how it encompassed all my goals for the year. I told Sarah how with being in the middle of my longest job yet it could be easy to become stagnant and complacent. Instead I want this to be a year that I grow mentally, physically, and spiritually.

No comments:

Post a Comment