Saturday 2 January 2016

30 Before 30 Revisited



Last year for my Birthday/New Years I decided to write a 30 before 30 list. Things I wanted to do/accomplish before I entered into what I considered real adulthood. A few weeks back I was excited to reflect back on this list to see how I was doing. In all honesty though, I wish I would have printed this list and displayed it somewhere for me to see every day. They say if you want to accomplish something, make sure you are reminded of it daily. I plan to do that this year to make more happen (along with some daily/weekly goals). I can't complain though as it has still been an awesome year full of so many adventures, travels, and blessings.

Two days ago as Sarah and I sat on a beautiful Thai beach watching the waves crash in, we went through the list. Some I had attained, others getting closer and some just not possible yet with where I was geographically.

Here is a breakdown of how I see it:

Checked off
1. Live somewhere outside of our comfort zone  
    Different language, food culture. Definitely outside our comfort zone. However after living in Chiang Mai for 6 months it is feeling more and more like home.
2. Eat street food in Thailand
    It has been so good. Favorite street food it probably a simple mango, passion fruit, pineapple smoothie from this     wonderful lady at the market. My favourite Thai food overall is Khao Soi. I love getting it from this vegetarian restaurant which does serve cafeteria style as Sarah and I call it. Somewhere between street food and a restaurant.
3. Ride an elephant Pet, feed, care for an elephant
    After some research, we decided riding an elephant was not for us but we still really wanted to be around elephants. We found Elephant Nature Park and loved our day trip there
4. Give away belongings I don’t need every 6 months
    I was forced to do this when moving to Thailand. It was pretty easy knowing all I needed was warm weather clothes. Some of our packing was unfortunately last minute and not all clothes got to the benefit/thrift store. Sarah constantly reminds me of how her pajamas got tossed in the trash. Whoopsies. 
5. Smile daily
    I consider myself a pretty happy-go-lucky-guy. This one has not been too hard. Fortunately even on bad days, I have an amazing wife who always knows how to make me laugh and smile.
6. Drive a motorcycle
    By Thai standards, absolutely! By North American standards, note sure if 125 cc counts. All I know is I love weaving through traffic in Chiang Mai on my bike.
7. Get a fish pedicure
8. Donate to 10 different charities
    Kiva, Elephant Nature Park, Lanta Animal WelfareCharity WaterRide for RefugeKhan AcademyColdest Night of the YearTU Village FundSeva BackpacksNext Generation Nepal
9. See the sunrise from a mountain peak
    Climbed the volcano on Lombok Island, Indonesia. Was it worth it? Probable not.
10. Grow our family
      Baby Mama is the sweetest little girl, we love her so much.
11. Mountain bike Trail run in Utah
      Zion and camping outside of Arches NP had some epic trails
12. Road trip to California
      Trip of a lifetime with our good friends Clark and Candice starting in Vancouver and ending in Ontario.         
      Sweeping down the west coast and back through Utah and Colorado
13. Send two hand written letters to loved ones (Not each other)

     

Nearly There
1.  Visit 30 countries (I am almost there)
     I am now at 27 countries.
2. Visit four continents
    Three down, one to go. South America maybe, how knows though, plans always change
3. Run a 50 mile ultra
    I have run a 70km ultra, whats an extra 10 km?


On the horizon
1.  Go heli-skiing (for Sarah's safety, she'll stay home for this one)
2. Do a yoga retreat
3. Volunteer at a WOOFING farm
4. Kill, cook, and eat an animal humanely (I have not been a strict vegetarian for the past year)
5. Do a multi-day cycling trip
6. Live out of a van
7. Grow our own vegetables
8. Befriend someone at least 40 years older than me
9. Create 10 new recipes and record them
Unfortunately at zero still as we are mostly eating out in Thailand.
10. Go on a canoe trip together
11. Go to a professional football game/match (Don't really care for either - Dec. 2017)
12. Rent a car and drive the Golden Circle in Iceland

North America Awaits
1. Hike the entire Bruce Trail
    Got reexcited about this one after reading Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail
2. Go on a food truck adventure in the southern states

Just like everything in life though, nothing is stagnant. I am still happy with this list but there are other things I want to add.

1. A multi-day sailing trip
2. Read 30 more books (Follow along through my Goodreads account. I love using it to track what I have read)


Stay tuned for a post on my goals and intentions for the new year.

Lots of love,

Zack

No comments:

Post a Comment