Friday 26 June 2015

Bremen, Germany

     
    

If there's one thing I've learned throughout our travels (though I have learned a lot!), it's that: it's all about the people.  Whether it's someone you breifly come in contact with, or someone who ends up a life long friend, people shape our travel experiences more than we realize.  After coming to realize this, I've tried to become more intentional about engaging with people during our travels.  Although I wouldn't say I'm shy, I am definitely not as outgoing as I'd sometimes like to be.  At times, it can be easy to go somewhere, take it all in, and leave before even engaging with the human beings that actually live there!  My goal of travelling is not to have my life be like one super long vacation (though I can't deny that it's pretty good!), my goal of travelling is to learn, to engage in other people, and to hopefully give that back to the people I engage with.  If it wasn't for the people I've met throughout our travels, we wouldn't have made this trip to Bremen.



During our time in Greece (this past April), we met a woman named Dagmar.  Dagmar came to the hostel we were staying at for a home cooked dinner one night with her sister.  We ended up chatting over dinner, and then spent the next couple nights together with Dagmar and her sister, chatting over delicious homemade Greek food and wine.  We exchanged emails before parting ways, and a couple months later, we are booking a flight to Bremen, Germany (where she is from)!  It is only a 1 and a half hour flight to Bremen from London, so we decided to make a weekend out of it.  Dagmar showed us around her beautiful city, hosted us for a lovely dinner and had a spare room for us to sleep in.  We loved the old town of Bremen, and adored the narrow cobbled stone streets of the Schnoor, a part of the old town that has kept it's old Medieval character.  Bremen is small enough that we were able to get around mostly by walking (Dagmar lived in the North end of the city, which requires the bus to get into town).  A few great things about Bremen and that the people pride themseves on are: Coffee, beer and chocolate.  Those are all amazing things, which we did not shy away from sampling!  I did not take loads of photos, however I did take some that I'd like to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment