Tuesday 27 September 2016

Zack conquers 50k: His Thoughts on the North Face Endurance Challenge


My husband, Zack, has time and time again proved to be such a strong individual.  I admire the way he takes opportunities in life and runs with them...  In this case in particular, he literally ran.  
50km, actually.

I know what you are thinking... why would you choose to run 50km?  How do you possibly train for something like this?  What goes through your head while you are running 50 KILOMETRES?  How are you still alive?  Well, I had those thoughts as well, and that's why I'd like to share with you a little conversation we had on the plane ride back to Thailand.  Here are all the details, in Zack's perspective (my questions are in bold):


What brought you to the idea of running an ultra marathon?

I would say there were two particular events that led me to this decision: 

 The first one being reading the book “Born to Run” by Christopher McDougall. The book is about a Mexican tribe of ultra marathon runners. These runners take marathons to the next level; not only to they excel in endurance running but they find their joy in running.

The second event that led me to this decision was running a half marathon back in February. After pleasantly surprising myself by how well I did and how much I actually enjoyed the race, I was curious to see how far I could go.

What was your training regiment like?

In Chiang Mai, I ran 10km twice a week along with running up the mountain Doi Suthep (500m elevation gain) once a week. Once in Ontario (5 weeks before the race), I ran about 4 times a week alternating between 11km an 16km. I took full advantage of the Bruce Trail while I was home. Three weeks prior to the race, I did a 23km run on my own.

How did you feel leading up to and going into the race?

Leading up to the race, I was super pumped and really excited. It was only until a day before the race that it really dawned on me just how far 50km is to run. (Sarah: and then how did you feel?). (Zack laughs) A little nervous! Up until then I had only run 23km straight before.

What about the morning of the race?

 I slept really well throughout the night, so I was well rested. There were still the nerves, but I was mostly just eager to get going. Seconds before the start of the race, I was beginning to feel a bit emotional… all the hard work and training that I had done had now come to this moment. I had invested a lot of time and energy into training, so it was a big moment for me.

What did you think about for FIVE straight hours of running?!

Laughs .. Surprisingly enough it really didn't feel that long! The time seemed to go by quickly with my attention on the trail itself which was at times rocky, windy and with a lot of roots. By the second half of the race however, my attention was mostly on the pain I was feeling. I felt pain in every muscle in my legs. I just had to focus on pushing through it.

What were some of the major ups and downs of the race (other than the elevation ;) )?

The first half of the race was really enjoyable. I enjoyed the running. The views from the top of the hills were nice but it was really when I was along the Bruce Trail that the scenery was quite beautiful. By the time I got to the 30km mark, it became a struggle to keep running. Every muscle in my legs seemed to be seizing up and it was a battle to not quit and walk. Somewhere along the way, I even thought I would never want to run a single race ever again. By the time I hit the second last Aid Station at 42km, I was feeling better about myself and I was excited to cross the finish line. This gave me a second wind. It wasn't the prettiest of running at this point, but I was still running and that's what counts.

Describe what it was like crossing the finish line after running 50km...

It was an emotional experience for me. I was at the point of tears. Knowing that I had accomplished what I had set out to do (and it not being an easy feat by any means) gave me a huge swell of pride and personal accomplishment. It was also really exciting coming into the finish line and hearing the cheers of the crowd. Hearing the announcer say that another 50km racer was coming in was exciting for me to hear. I ended the race with a 100 meter sprint- not against anyone- but just as a way to finish the race with everything I had in me. Finally, it was a bitter sweet moment as I looked back at the clock and realized I had finished an hour faster than what I had predicted. I had even told my family to not bother coming until another half an hour, thinking that there was not a chance I would finish before then.

Where do you find your inspiration?

Definitely from the novels that I have read about many different ultra marathon runners. Reading their stories of not only the pain that they go through but the fulfillment they find in pursuing what many others think is unattainable gives me inspiration to reach for what I once thought I could never do.

Would you do it again?

Two days after the race, I was happily perusing the Internet, searching for the next race I could sign up for. So, yes. Back track to during the race, it was a different story. I was questioning whether I would want to participate in any other race again. I quickly realized though that the pain is only temporary. Pursuing challenges such as this one is what really makes me feel alive.  

*End of Interview*

Back to Sarah here.  All I can really say to sum this up is that I am SO incredibly proud of Zack.  His perseverance, his passion, and his dedication are all incredibly admirable.  Way to go, sweets :) 

All smiles before the race :)


Busy atmosphere at the starting gate

And they're off!






Beautiful views from this water station







1 comment:

  1. I just found your Europe Series a few days ago. It inspired me to also pursue my dream of going to Europe someday. I might also do it solo like what you did. I really enjoy reading all your entries. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.

    plan a europe trip

    ReplyDelete