Thursday 12 February 2015

DIY geometric photo frame


Well isn't this fun... my very first Do-it-yourself post on the blog!  For those of you who are thinking, 
"I thought this was a travel blog- why is this turning into arts and crafts?", do not worry.  I adore travel, and there most definitely will be more travel posts on the way.  In regards to all these creative posts lately, what can I say...  I just do things like this!  And I know there are some of you out there that appreciate this kind of stuff.  So, why not share the love?

Remember last spring, when I posted about our apartment on Lowell?  I took photos of some of my favourite decor items in our small little apartment.  The reason I did that was not only to get the blog rolling, but because I knew we wouldn't have any of that stuff once we moved to England.  It was kind of a way for me to savour all the little personal touches that I loved.  When we moved overseas, we said goodbye to our favourite wall frames, wine rack, and antique atlas.  Though they are just material items, I couldn't help but feel a little bit sad knowing that there's no way we would have any of that stuff in England.  And there was no sense in buying any of those things once we arrived here.  When you know it could possibly only be one year of living here, and when money is tight, the need is just not there.

Slowly however, I've been finding ways to make our bedroom a little more "homey".  This little project I whipped up in no time, and spent very little money on, so that's why I'm sharing.  If you have a few bucks in your pocket and can draw a straight line, you can easily do this! 


Here's what you need:
- simple photo frame (mine cost one pound from the dollar store (Poundland here in UK).  Or you can find loads of inexpensive frames at secondhand shops!)
- Permanent marker or Sharpie
- Ruler

And here's what to do:

1.  Measure equal parts along each side of the frame and use pencil to make rough markings.  My pencil ticks are 1cm apart, however you can choose to go smaller or larger.



2.  With permanent marker, draw straight lines using a straight edge over top of every pencil tick.  You can choose to do this in pencil first if drawing with the permanent marker right away makes you nervous.



3.  Draw three diagonal lines in between each straight line, alternating diagonal direction.  


When you've completed and entire side of diagonals, it should look like this (right hand side):


4.  Draw three straight lines inside one row of emply diagonal boxes.


5.  Continue straight lines on each side of frame, leaving every other row blank.  In the end it should look like this:


And here is the finished product!  I've inserted a collage photo of my adorable niece, Brooke :)




No comments:

Post a Comment